Please be aware that this position is funded through Young Canada Works. You must be a full time student between the ages of 16 and 30 to qualify for this position.
Intro: The SS Sicamous is a big ship with a small crew. You can find us on the beach in Penticton. The work is varied, and flexibility is important. You will be responsible for many different activities including: greeting visitors at the front desk, cleaning, looking after the gift shop, assisting volunteers with restoration projects, and guiding guests around the decks of the ship.
The ideal candidate possesses excellent verbal communication skills, and an outstanding work ethic. The candidate must have been registered as a full-time student in the 2016/2017 academic year, and intend to return to school on a full time basis in 2017/2018
Wage: $12 per hour. Hours: 40 hours per Week.
Will I workweekends or evenings? Yes, depending on the schedule.
Dates of Employment: May 7th to August 31, 2018 (approx. 16 weeks).
Qualities that we are looking for:
• Willingness to learn
• Happy to clean (it’s a big boat)
• An interest in Canadian History.
• An interest in learning to write articles for the media
• You also NEED to have been registered as a full-time student in the 2016/2017 academic year, and intend to return to school on a full time basis in 2017/2018.
The Extras – These would be good to have, so let us know if these apply!
• A driver’s license and vehicle
• A second language
• Serving it Right or Food Safe certified.
Skills that you will learn:
• Public speaking experience (Everyone is nervous at first, but practice really does make perfect!)
• Cash Handling and using Excel Spread Sheets
• Customer skills (especially good if your career will involve working with clients),
• Experience with events (helping with planning, set up, and running activities)
• Sweeping, mopping and cleaning experience also.
• There is also room for personal projects; including social media and research.
• Unique experiences and stories from a summer working on board a heritage ship.
Please send us an email. Cover letters and resumes should be directed to the attention of Arlana Tanner.
They can be included as an attachment, or copied and pasted into the body of the email.
SS Sicamous Heritage Park
1099 Lakeshore Drive West
BC V2A 1B7