New Entrance Way

Building a Wharf for the Entrance of the S.S. Sicamous

Our Aims

To enhance the exterior of the SS Sicamous, by constructing a historically accurate wharf. This project fits with the “Master Plan” developed by the City of Penticton.

Our goal is to improve the exterior of the ship, making it more appealing, historically accurate and visitor friendly. The area in front of the SS Sicamous has remained unchanged for more than two decades. We want the outside to reflect the level of work and pride that have been invested in recent years.

Details for the Wharf Project

The Sicamous Society has been awarded a grant of $10,000 (ten thousand!) from the Community Foundation of the South Okanagan | Similkameen, to purchase lumber and construction materials for the wharf.

  • Construction is starting soon.
  • The wharf will be 100 feet long and 12 feet wide.
  • It will be built of Canadian Douglas Fir, cut at a local saw mill.
  • The construction is being done by volunteers, so the primary costs are lumber and screws for the wharf.
  • Construction will take an estimated 200 volunteer hours from start to finish šŸ™‚
  • We hope to be finished in time for the Summer (by the end of June 2017)

Sketches of the Wharf Designs – By Historian Randy Manuel

Plans for the New Visitor Entrance Dock in front of the SS Sicamous – Illustrated by Randy Manuel

 

The Benefits of Building a Wharf

The S.S. Sicamous is a local icon that is important for Penticton. At least 11,000 visitors come through the museum annually. Many more can be found enjoying the areas around the ship. Constructing this wharf will help create a more welcoming and historically accurate exterior, for guests to enjoy. We also hope it will help to entice more visitors inside of the ship.

The wharf will be a highly visible investment, that will be seen 365 days a year. Although Initial costs are quite high, once the dock is built maintenance and care costs will be very low.

New historical information panels will be accessible at all times, allowing visitors to learn about their heritage, even if the museum is closed.

The area in front of the SS Sicamous has remained unchanged for more than two decades. We want the outside to reflect the level of work and pride that have been invested in recent years.

Funding and Maintenance

The City of Penticton, had agreed to loan the SS Sicamous Society the sum of $50,000 for the completion of this project. The Sicamous Society has

agreed to repay 75% of this amount within the next two years (by April 19th 2018). The remaining 25% will be a grant from the City of Penticton.

*The SS Sicamous Society has been awarded a grant of $10,000 (ten thousand) from the Community Foundation of the South Okanagan | Similkameen for the construction of the wharf!*

The wharf will be a long term investment. Once piles are driven and the main construction finishes, maintenance and repairs can be undertaken as needed, and will be a much smaller undertaking.

We are confident that our volunteers will have the skills and expertise necessary for a project of this scale.Renovations to the exterior are also expected to increase visibility of the museum, allowing us to attract more visitors and generate increased revenues for the society. This can in turn be used to purchase lumber and supplies as needed.

Timeline

We will have a number of milestones, and dates for when we plan to achieve each stage. We will also monitor and evaluate the project through feedback from contractors, and the volunteers who will be helping to complete this project. Our hope is to have the project finished before schools finish for the summer (by the end of June 2017).

Project Funded by

 


Stay Up to Date – Sign up for Newsletters from the SS Sicamous

Sign Me Up