Information on the Canadian National No. 6
Canadian National Tug no. 6 is a diesel powered tug boat. It was owned and operated by the Canadian National Railway (CNR) company on Okanagan Lake. It was launched in 1948 and transferred railway barges between Penticton and Kelowna. It was retired in 1973, and was the last of many tugboats to operate on Okanagan Lake. Tug 6 was moved to Penticton in 2007 to rest alongside the SS Naramata and SS Sicamous. The ship is currently being restored by ta team of dedicated volunteers and engine enthusiasts.
- Launch Date: 1948
- Last Operated: 1973
- Moved to Penticton: June 16th, 2007
- Registered at Vancouver, No. 190311
- Length: 88 feet
- Breadth moulded: 22 feet
- Depth moulded: 10 feet 6 inches
- Mean draft: 8 feet 6 inches
- Trim by stern: 2 feet
- Gross Tonnage: 158 tons
- Dominion radiator oil fired heating boiler
- Located in the engine room
- Type: 8 cylinder turbo charged marine diesel
- Propeller: self-propelled
- Rudder: single blade type
- Horsepower: 575 nominal horsepower
- Accommodation area consisted of 3 double cabins and a storage room
- Last crew of CN No. 6:
- Ron Giggey, skipper
- Ben Bounds, chief engineer
- Dick Sieward, second engineer
- Harry Heyworth, cook
- Ike Klassen, mate/deckhand
- Harry Bailey, mate/deckhand
- Inar Bozarth, mate/deckhand
- Ken Marshall, mate
- Frank Hawkey, deckhand
The Canadian National Railway (CNR)
- Canadian National Railway reached Kelowna in 1925.
- Passenger service started with M. S. Pentowna in 1926.
- This connected Penticton and Kelowna
- The name derived from PENTicton and KelOWNA.
- Attempt to duplicate the passenger service of the Sicamous but was withdrawn in the 1930s.
- CPR and CNR maintained its own barge slip at Kelowna, Westbank and Penticton
- Shared barge slips at Summerland and Naramata
- In 1950 the lake froze over. The CPR was able to maintain the water-way from Kelowna to Westbank.
- Penticton and Okanagan Centre were the last communities to be reached on March 11-12.
“C. N. R. Tug No. 6” speculates the horsepower to be 600 hp.
“CN Tug, Barge end Service Today,” The Penticton Herald 15 February 1971: 3.
“CPR Barges to Resume Service,” The Penticton Herald, 9 March 1950: Section 1, p. 1.